Pages

The life and times of Colleen and Scott Platt in Iowa and beyond.

Monday, October 24, 2011

Platt family updates

I apologize on the lack of posts in the last month or so.  Scott and I have both been extremely busy, and really, nothing exciting or picture-worthy has happened.  Here's a rundown.

  1. I am the assistant volleyball coach at William Penn University in Oskaloosa.  I enjoy it, and the JV team is really wonderful.  But, it means that I go to practice every afternoon when we aren't playing, and I spend a lot of time in the gym and on the bus going to games.  The tournaments are all Friday/Saturday, so I end up being gone quite a bit.
  2. I am now working part-time for the Iowa Region, and mostly working from home.  This allows me to coach, and I will stay part-time when volleyball season ends in preparation for having the baby!
  3. Scott is also working a lot.  He has been training a newer worker to inspect food manufacturers, and spent the last two weeks on the road staying in hotels.  Since I was gone both weekends for volleyball/work, we didn't see much of each other for a couple weeks!  He also often ends up finishing up paperwork and answering emails in the evenings and on his days off right now.
  4. I am still pregnant!  I'm at 17 weeks now (as of tomorrow), and am starting to show.  My first trimester was lousy...I felt like crap most of the time, threw up every day for about 3 weeks, and wondered why anyone would ever be pregnant more than once!  The last month or so has been better...only a couple bouts of morning sickness, and feeling much better.  I am still incredibly tired.  I am not used to lacking energy to do the things I want or need to do.  I get home from volleyball practice, sit down, and can't move for the rest of the night.  I would like to be able to spend more time in the kitchen cooking, help clean the house, and even get a room ready for the baby, but I just don't have the energy right now.  Volleyball season will end some time in November (our last regular season match is Nov. 3, and then it is single elimination from there), and I think I will have more time to enjoy life then.
  5. Scott and I are going to Hilton Head, SC, with my parents and Jacob Vos over Christmas.  We loved being in Charleston last year, and Jake also spent some time in SC.  My parents have time share, and could get a really good deal on a condo in Hilton Head for a week, so we decided to join them.  We are driving down, but I think it will be a relaxing week, and there even will be things for someone who is 6 months pregnant to do!
  6. Scott's brother is having surgery this Friday.  They will be removing the rest of his gall bladder, part of his liver, and one of his native kidneys (he has had 3 kidney transplants, and they leave the non-working kidneys in, but one of them needs to come out at this point).  Please pray for him to heal quickly, and that the doctors will have success!
  7. My Grandma Evenhouse has been pretty sick with a debilitating disease that she has chosen not to treat.  She is 91, has lived a long life, and is not at a point where she would do well under any sort of chemo or radiation.  After her major stroke 11 years ago I prayed that she would still be around when I got married.  Now I am praying that she will still be around to meet her new great-grandson or  great-granddaughter.  I bought her a new shirt for Christmas, and I am going to give it to her early so she can have sometime new to wear.
  8. We will be having Thanksgiving dinner with the Evenhouse family, and I am already planning out a menu.  I love holiday meals with family.

No comments:

Post a Comment