Pages

The life and times of Colleen and Scott Platt in Iowa and beyond.

Sunday, January 24, 2016

Balloon Ice Sculptures

Last week one of our neighbors posted a link on facebook for how to make ice globes using balloons.  Then we went to a craft night at our County Conservation Center and they showed the same idea!  We made some of our own balloon ice globes.

My initial plan was to color the water in the pitcher, then pour it into the balloons using the funnel.  Unfortunately, we found that there was not enough water pressure to actually stretch and fill the balloons that way, and I had to fill them from the sink.  My ability to allow toddler participation was greatly reduced!  I ended up putting the balloon on the funnel, pouring in a little water and drops of food coloring, then taking the balloon to the sink and actually filling them from the faucet.
Laurel is telling Nicolas how to do it.  I used about 10-15 drops of food coloring for each balloon, but I think it would have been better with 20-25 drops.

We filled 8 balloons total.  One popped on the ground before it froze, but the others all survived.

We put them outside on a weekend when it was supposed to be below zero for a few days.  We waited 24 hours, and then Laurel could not wait any longer!  Our balloons had not frozen all the way through, so instead of getting ice globes we have ice bowls.

The color isn't very vibrant because I didn't use enough food coloring, but I think they turned out very pretty!

No comments:

Post a Comment