Pages

The life and times of Colleen and Scott Platt in Iowa and beyond.

Saturday, September 18, 2010

Gravel!

Yesterday we had gravel delivered for the foundation for our shed. Scott ordered 4 tons, and they delivered 6.5 tons. Not even close! Our pile of gravel was much, much larger than needed for this job! Scott had to go to a work training session today, so I had the task of moving gravel, leveling it, and tamping it so that we can put up the shed next week. I borrowed a wheelbarrow (we don't have one because we don't have anywhere to keep it...yet!), and started moving gravel this morning after the rain stopped. Here is the pile:We figured we could use some of it on our parking driveway area. I ended up putting down fresh gravel the entire length of our lot, up to the middle of the puddle you see here, and also put some along the road on the other side of the house, where there was a bit of a drop off.
At lunch time I went inside and ate, and then ended up taking a little longer break, as it started raining. It was a shorter shower, and I was able to get back to work after about an hour. Early in the afternoon, Mom came over with Emily, Rhea, and Olivia to help. It didn't really speed up the process (as they are 9, 5, and 2), but it was nice to have company. And we finished!

I decided to expand our "foundation" so that our wood pile can be on it as well...especially since we definitely had enough gravel! Now we let it settle for a week, and next Saturday we will put up the shed! PS--if anyone is free next Saturday and wants to stop by, feel free! :)
I decided to cook lentils for supper. I have never made these before, but I bought a bad after watching an episode of "Good Eats" with Alton Brown. This was just sauted veggies and tomatoes with lentils. It was good, but got better after I added a bunch of italian seasoning.


No comments:

Post a Comment