As I mentioned in my previous post, last weekend also held difficult times. The Monday before, Scott's brother Shawn had a surgery to repair an aneurysm, and to remove a few blood clots. On Tuesday he was released from the hospital, and we spoke to him on the phone Tuesday night. He was tired and his arm was sore, but otherwise was doing well. On Wednesday he was not doing well and went back to the hospital. On Thursday, the family was called to return to the hospital, as he had suffered cardiac arrest, was on oxygen, and was not doing well.
I made arrangements for Laurel to stay at my parent's house while Scott packed and headed out to Iowa City. Scott told me to still plan on going to my roommate reunion, as the family understood, and that was something we had planned a long time ago and I was really looking forward to it. I took care of the kids on Thursday night, and Friday morning I dropped Laurel at my parent's house, picked up my college roomie, then headed out to Galena.
We stopped for lunch in Iowa City, and suddenly I realized that we were eating in the same city where Shawn was in the hospital! Teresa said she would be happy to spend some time at the mall, and I went with Nicolas over to the hospital to see Shawn and the other Platt family members. At that time, most of Shawn's organs were shutting down, and the decision had been made to take him off the life support. I am so thankful that I was able to come and see him and give him my love. I am also thankful I could give Scott's family hugs and support. I am also thankful that my sister-in-law gave me a hug, thanked me for coming, then told me to enjoy the weekend with my friends, and grieve when I got back home.
Friday afternoon they took Shawn off life support, and he passed away shortly after. Scott came home on Saturday, I got home on Sunday, we re-packed everything, Melanie arrived at our house, and we headed to Iowa City on Monday for the visitation and funeral.
On Monday we spent some time and Shawn and Audrey's house to see family, make preparations, and provide support for the family. Laurel enjoyed playing with her cousins!
 |
| Playing on the tractor with Seth |
 |
| Nicolas was helping me play the piano |
 |
| Laurel playing with her cousin Wesley |
 |
| I was a little worn out after the weekend, and took a short nap with Nicolas |
It is difficult to explain death and loss to a 2 1/2 year old. On Thursday night, Laurel asked to pray for Uncle Shawn before bed, and we did. When telling her where we were going on Monday, we told her that Uncle Shawn was with Jesus, and that we wouldn't get to see him again. We also told her that we would see our relatives, and that they might be sad, and she should give them a hug. She was a little confused at the visitation with Uncle Shawn in the casket--she kept saying, "Uncle Shawn is right over there! He is taking a nap. We won't see him again, he is going with Jesus." I am not sure how much she will remember of Uncle Shawn or the time he spent playing with her, but I pray that she will always remember that Uncle Shawn is with Jesus.
 |
| Display at the visitation and funeral. |
 |
| The casket Shawn was buried in was hand made by Travestine monks here in Iowa. The top of the casket had a cross shaped inlay. The monks made an engraved cross with Shawn's name on it for the casket, and also made them for each of the family members. We now have this keepsake at home to help remember Shawn |
The funeral was on Tuesday morning at the church, followed by the internment at a country cemetery near their house. The funeral was beautiful, with music written specifically for the funeral, and a touching message from the preacher about Shawn's relationship with Christ. Shawn had many health issues throughout his adult life, yet he was always thankful, always hopeful, always patient, always loving. He reflected Christ in everything that he said and did, and I will always love and admire him. We are sad for those that are left behind, but we also rejoice that Shawn is in heaven, and has a new, glorious, resurrected body!
 |
| We each were given rose petals to place on the casket. |
 |
| Melanie's fiancee Nate came out for the funeral, and enjoyed getting to meet his future brother-in-law Nicolas for the first time. |
 |
| Family photo |
 |
| Unity Cemetery where Shawn is buried |
Scott and I plan to schedule more frequent visits out to Iowa City in the future to spend time with Audrey and the boys. We know that their lives will be forever changed, and even though we are confident that Shawn is in heaven, they will still miss him and have to learn how to live their lives differently now. We love them, and want to provide the love and support they need.
No comments:
Post a Comment