Pages

The life and times of Colleen and Scott Platt in Iowa and beyond.

Friday, January 21, 2011

Ham Balls

Ham loaf was on sale at Hy-Vee, so we bought a couple pounds and tonight for supper we made Ham balls.  I had never even heard of ham balls before we moved to Iowa...maybe it just isn't a "big city" sort of food...and I have never made them before.  I looked through my cookbooks, and decided there would be a recipe either in the "Iowa 4-H" cookbook, or the "Central College Dutch Ladies" cookbook.  The Dutch ladies win!  I rolled the balls, Scott stirred up the sauce, and they are in the oven cooking.  I wonder what Iowans serve with their ham balls?  I am going with mashed potatoes.

1 comment:

  1. Do you remember having these for my wedding? We often have scalloped potatoes or mac n cheese with them. Or baked corn. I personally like a cheesy side dish to match the vinegar based sweet sauce that I put on them. It's not just an Iowa thing -- it's a central PA thing, too!!!

    ReplyDelete