I posted on Facebook last week that in order to save money (and to get more protein in my diet without actually eating more meat), I made a tub of regular yogurt ($2.35) into greek yogurt ($6.99 for the same size). Many people asked how I did it, so here it is:
 |
| Put a colander inside a bowl, and line it with a thin towel or tightly woven cheesecloth. |
 |
| Dump your regular yogurt into the towel. |
 |
| Twist the towel tight... |
 |
| ...and put it into the fridge for a few hours or overnight. |
Greek yogurt is basically regular yogurt, but with more of the whey (liquid) strained out. This process effectively strains out more of the whey. I've heard the whey is healthy and can be used in cooking, baking, smoothies, etc, but I have not used it for anything. I eat it with fresh fruit, honey, or a little vanilla.
My next yogurt adventure: I am going to make yogurt from a jug of milk! Stay tuned.
Last weekend we put the new rotisserie attachment on the grill to use and made a chicken (OK, so I'm not totally cutting out meat, just trying to eat protein more, as my trainers tell me to do, but not eat meat at every meal. I still enjoy a moist, tender hunk of freshly rotisseried chicken).
 |
| Scott found a good chicken rub recipe online, mixed it all together, tied the wings and legs on with butcher string, and cooked the chicken. It was DELICIOUS! |
 |
| We also grilled a bunch of potatoes and onions, and pineapple. |
I finally had time to put some vegetables into the ground. Needless to say, I do not start much from seed, since the first vegetable work I've done this year is on May 7...
 |
| These pots will hold my mini spinach/leaf lettuce garden |
 |
| And the vegetable garden. I'm hoping my snap peas actually live this year, and I'm trying something I have never grown before: green onions. I am also praying that the single cucumber plant in the ground is as lush as giving as the cucumber I had last year...I even bought the same variety! |
I think you'll like making yogurt. One thing I learned: putting it in the heat for a longer amount of time (on the recommended time spectrum) has made it a little thicker. I'm going to make some more tomorrow :)
ReplyDeleteYour garden is looking better than mine. My snap peas are in there, but that is it (aside from the spinach in the herb garden location)! I'm hoping for some dryer weather this week so I can till it up-- it's supposed to by dry. The kids are going to have a blast planting potatoes and everything else this year!!! Have a nice week!
Oh, I decided that NEXT year, I'll have to plan a trip to Iowa when I can steal some of your pears. My kids love pears! We had your pear sauce on Thursday (with our cinco de mayo meal) and it was yummy.
ReplyDelete