Pages

The life and times of Colleen and Scott Platt in Iowa and beyond.

Monday, January 9, 2012

Lucille Klein Evenhouse (April 6, 1920 - January 6, 2012

Grandma Evenhouse has been in the Comfort House (hospice) in Pella for a few months, and this past week she passed away.  Last Thursday she was not able to get out of bed, and by evening her heart was slowing and she was having trouble breathing.  Scott and I drove to Pella and sat by her for a while Thursday night and Friday morning.  Friday afternoon, she took one last breath with Dad by her side, and went to be with Jesus.
Lynn and Grandma at Christmas, 2012
 When you see older relatives dying in movies, they are always surrounded by their families, and say some last important words.  The reality is that every time Grandma would start awake, she wouldn't really recognize us, and just felt like she needed to get up and go to the bathroom.  I wanted to tell her I love you, I admire you, and God loves you, but all she could think about was the silly details of her body.  I am thankful that I have been able to tell her all those things before, and that she has lived a life of faith.
Grandma and Great-grandkids (Olivia, Garion, and Abby) at Christmas
 Grandma had a bad stroke just over 10 years ago, and at that time the doctors thought she would never even be able to talk again.  They were wrong!  About 5 years ago, she was in the hospital with pneumonia, and we were very concerned, but she had another miracle and lived.  I prayed for many years that she would live long enough to see me marry a good Christian man, as she often told me that was her prayer for me, and she did!  
Thanksgiving 2012--the entire family went to visit her (and feed her kolaches!) at the Comfort House
 Grandma spent her life caring for people--she worked hard to raise her kids as Christians, she firmly believed in the sanctity of marriage, and she was always willing to give and give and love.  She told mom on Thursday night that she could hear voices calling to her, and mom told her, "That is Jesus calling for you.  He wants you to come home!"  And she did.
About the best smile I've ever captured on camera!
"For I am already being poured out like a drink offering, and the time has come for my departure.  I have fought the good fight.  I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.  now there is in store for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day."  II Timothy 4:6-8

No comments:

Post a Comment