Pages

The life and times of Colleen and Scott Platt in Iowa and beyond.

Monday, May 14, 2012

Mother's Day

Last Saturday afternoon I bought some flowers and vegetables at the store, and asked Scott to watch Laurel the afternoon so I could put them in the ground.  
Scott: "I'll get the stuff out of the shed for you.  What do you need?"
Colleen: "An entrenching tool."  (this is an ongoing joke...why does the Army call a shovel an entrenching tool anyway?  Too many syllables!)
Scott then went out to the shed and brought me the shovels.  A few minutes later, I went to the window and asked if the shed was still open, as I also needed the tomato cages.  Scott told me to keep working, and he would be happy to get those out for me as well.
When I finished planting, I went inside to grab the shed key and clean up after myself.  They were not hanging on their usual hook...
Colleen: "Scott, do you know where the shed keys are?  Did you leave them in your pocket?"
Scott: "Why do you need them?"
Colleen:  "I was going to put the gardening stuff away."
Scott (with shifty eyes): "Don't worry, I'll take care of it."
Colleen (becoming suspicious): "Um, is there something in shed that I can't see?"
Oops, I just ruined his plans to somehow get me to get something out of the shed and find my Mother's Day present!  At least I hadn't been in the shed and didn't know what was in there waiting for me!
Sunday morning I finally got the shed keys and went out to find the surprise.

A birdfeeder and hook!  I had mentioned last weekend that I would like to have a birdfeeder, and Scott listened.  :)  I put it up today, and the only bird that has discovered it so far that I have seen is a woodpecker.  I'm sure they will be flocking soon.
 On Sunday we went to Pella to have lunch with the whole Evenhouse clan.  The kids played outside while we got lunch ready.
Abby

Kendall saw Garion go down the slide head first, and decided she wanted to try it as well!

Kendall, Carrie, and Olivia

Lynn was the grill master

Olivia

Look at all those blondies (and Rhea)!

Mom wanted to do a family picture, as it is becoming rare for all of us to be together.  What a great looking family!
 In the evening, my parents, my brother, and Scott & I went out to the cemetery and visited Grandma's grave site.

Miss you, Grandma!

No comments:

Post a Comment