Pages

The life and times of Colleen and Scott Platt in Iowa and beyond.

Sunday, May 31, 2015

Camping! (in our backyard)

In an episode of Daniel Tiger, Daniel and his dad go camping in a tent in their back yard.  Laurel has talked about that a lot, and ever since I got her a little pop-up tent for the living room, and really been into the idea of camping.  The week before Memorial Day I checked the weather forecast for when there would be a few sunny days in a row, and when the night-time temperature wouldn't be too cold (aka: above 50 degrees).  Laurel and I put up the tent in the backyard while Nicolas was sleeping one afternoon, and the kids and I enjoyed reading books in the tent and playing in it.  The Friday night before Memorial Day I decided that I would sleep in the tent with Laurel while Scott slept inside in our nice comfy bed and Nicolas slept in his crib.  We decided to enhance our "camping experince" by sitting around the firebowl and eating supper outside that evening.
Laurel and I in the "camping tent"
 Sitting around a fire and cooking supper over the fire when you have a 1 year old and a 3 year old is not a relaxing experience.  Not at all.  Nicolas spent the whole time either trying to jump into the fire bowl or yelling to get down while someone held him.  Laurel spent the whole time trying to throw more wood on the fire and sneaking marshmallows.  I might have sat down for a total of 4 minutes.  This is one reason we will not be taking a camping vacation until the kids are older.

Let me down, Dad!  I want to stick my hands into the fire!

Laurel roasting a marshmallow.
 After we cleaned up supper and let the fire die down, we all got ready for bed, and Laurel and I headed out to the tent.  I had put some rubber mats on the floor, then the twin size air mattress.  I had a doubled up blanket on top of the mattress, then a fleece blanket and a wool blanket over us.  I knew the wool would keep us plenty warm, but I cannot have wool touching my skin without turning red and itching, so the fleece was just a material barrier.  We wore pants and socks to sleep in as well, but we also should have worn stocking caps.  It's been a while since I tent camped in 50 degree weather, and I just didn't think about hats in advance!

Laurel was a little wired from all the marshmallows, and jumped around in the tent talking and making noises until about 10pm.  Then we went inside for another quick potty break, went back outside, snuggled in our bed, and Laurel fell asleep.  Unfortunately, the slight headache I'd had all day turned into a pounding migraine, and at 3am after not yet falling asleep, I picked up Laurel and our pillows and went inside to take some excedrin.  Had I not had a headache, Laurel would have had no problem sleeping in the tent all night.  Good practice for future camping vacations!
Ready for bed!


No comments:

Post a Comment