Pages

The life and times of Colleen and Scott Platt in Iowa and beyond.

Saturday, February 18, 2012

Baby Room and Cabbage Rolls

Yesterday afternoon Scott fixed all the walls in the baby room.  He spent some time on the really bad wall, and then just ended up putting a coat of sheetrock mud on all the walls, as none were in great shape.  Today he went through and sanded everything down.  What a mess!  He closed the doors to the room, and opened the windows, but the dust still flew!  So after sanding, he got to take a shower, and then mop and wipe up in the laundry room as well.
Here is Scott right after he finished sanding.  This is what he might look like in about 30 years when he is old and gray.

There are a couple spots on the wall that still have a tiny crack, so he's doing a little more work  there.

Notice the layer of dust on the carpet.  We will vacuum before we do any painting, and we will also be shampooing the carpet after we paint.
 What did I do all day while Scott was working in the baby's room?  I'm at the point now where my body is just tired--my legs and hands were shaky all day long!  I did do three rounds of dishes, and made some granola, and also sat on the sofa and watched a movie.  I also made cabbage rolls for supper, which were delicious, but very labor intensive!  What I have seen people making these on tv, the cabbage leaves always come right off the head of cabbage without ripping (yeah, right), and their rolls are perfectly shaped.  I made do with the cabbage leaves, and decided they would be covered with sauce, so they could be a bit misshapen.
Here are the cabbage rolls right after I rolled the stuffing into them.  Filled with ground turkey, some sausage, rice, onions, and some seasonings.

I had made a sauce from tomatoes, onions, garlic, and some brown sugar, and simmer the cabbage rolls and sauce on the stove for a little over an hour.  Delicious!

1 comment:

  1. They look tasty, but I would just have to live vicariously through your taste buds. :) Can't wait to see the room finished!

    ReplyDelete