Pages

The life and times of Colleen and Scott Platt in Iowa and beyond.

Sunday, October 4, 2015

Super Moon Blood Moon

Did you get a chance to watch the lunar eclipse last Sunday night?  It was a full supermoon, which is when the moon is closer to earth than usual, so it was huge and really bright.  Then there was a full lunar eclipse, which resulted in a blood moon, which is when the earth is blocking the light of the sun, so the light that is reflected looks red, kinda like then you put the tip of your finger over a flashlight and it makes your finger look red.

Scott really wanted to take the tripod outside and experiment with taking pictures of the moon.  The eclipse started right at bedtime (8:07pm), so I agreed to put both kids to bed on my own, hoping that they would fall asleep before the full lunar eclipse (9:11pm).  Laurel fell asleep very quickly, but Nicolas was not tired in the least!  Instead of missing the whole thing, I decided to let him stay up, brought him outside with me, and we both sat out there and watched the eclipse.  

the "you should be sleeping but I'll let you stay up because I want to see this" selfie

Super Moon!

Partial eclipse.
Scott tried a number of different camera techniques, but didn't get any super amazing shots of the eclipse or the blood moon.  He will have to do more research and try again next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment