Last Saturday was the 1 year anniversary of Uncle Shawn's going to heaven. Last year I was really looking forward to October because I had planned a weekend reunion with my college roommates in Galena, IL. Scott's brother Shawn ended up in the hospital that week, and I was able to stop and visit him there on my way to Galena...he was taken off life support that afternoon and passed away. My sister-in-law told me, "Thanks for coming, now go have fun with your friends and don't think about it for a couple days!" And that is what I did.
This year the Platts decided to gather in Iowa City at Audrey's house to remember Shawn and provide some love and support for the family. I said I would bring an apple pie, and on Friday during Nick's nap, Laurel helped me make it.
 |
| I sliced the apples and Laurel pulled all the pieces apart and put them in the bowl. |
 |
| Remember that old wives' tale about throwing your apple peel over your shoulder to see the initial of the person you will marry? I got an "S". How does the apple peel know???!!! |
 |
| Ready to pour the apples into the crust. I also make a pastry cream and put it into the bottom of the crust under the apples. Then a crumble top and bake it all up. |
 |
| Aunt Audrey reading "Green Eggs and Ham" to Laurel. |
 |
| blowing up balloons to release at the cemetery |
 |
| Lots of hugs |
Shawn is buried in a little country cemetery near their house. We decided it would be nice to release some balloons at the grave site. Laurel remembers Uncle Shawn and talks about how he is with Jesus now. This was a good way for her to think about our love going up to him in heaven.
 |
| Bye, balloons! |
 |
| Family Picture |
 |
| Silly family picture |
 |
| In the afternoon, Scott and Lance took the kids to the Raptor Center at Lake MacBride. The rest of us stayed at home and sat around while Nicolas napped. We also made ice cream in Grandma Burkhalter's old hand crank ice cream bucket. |
 |
| For supper we roasted hot dogs and marshmallows over the fire. |
 |
| Scott and Lance watching the Nebraska football game (yes, they cheered when Nebraska lost) |
No comments:
Post a Comment