Pages

The life and times of Colleen and Scott Platt in Iowa and beyond.

Saturday, July 21, 2012

Rotisserie Chicken

I am in the midst of HP Camp and the HP Championships for work.  The Iowa Region has 7 volleyball teams playing this year (6 girls and 1 boys), and we're coming off a gold medal last year, so hoping to do well again!  Since the HP Championships are in Des Moines this year, I drove back and forth from home the last couple days.  Laurel is not taking a bottle, so she has to come with me, and we thought it would be nice for Scott to be able to see her.  Thursday was fine.  Friday was mostly fine, except that the latch on my hatchback broke, and it is very difficult to open from the inside with the stroller in the back.  And my muffler decided this is a good time to start to die, so it was pretty loud in the car.  And after 2 days of driving all over the Des Moines area, Laurel decided she was DONE, and cried the entire hour ride home yesterday.

BUT, I was able to take today off and stay at home!  I do most of the administrative preparation for our teams, but I don't coach, and they said they could by without me today, so I am staying home.  Tomorrow morning Laurel and I head back to Des Moines and will be staying in a hotel there for all of next week.  (Blessing: I didn't have a bed in the hotel where the Iowa teams are staying, and was planning to either sleep on an air mattress in the office or possibly stay with my boss.  However, USA Volleyball ended up with an extra complimentary hotel room, and gave it to me!  Hooray!)

We haven't had a chance to use the rotisserie on the grill much this year, and Scott really wanted to get it going!  We had a chicken in the freezer, so Scott found a recipe for a spice rub, made the rub, prepped the chicken, bought some cooking twine, and rotisseried the chicken for lunch today.  What a great husband!
Scott watched a you tube video about how to truss a chicken, then did it himself.  Here he is, tying the twine.

Then you stick the forks in each end of the chicken.

Cooking on the grill.  Every time we do this one of the forks comes loose, and we have to take it off and push it back into the chicken and tighten it.

Doesn't that look tasty?
The chicken was awesome!!!  It was moist, tasty, and the skin with the rub was really, really good.  (Yes, we ate the skin; it must be healthy because it is homemade, right?).  I snapped and steamed some fresh green beans, and made some cream filled cupcakes for dessert (no pictures of those because they came out of a box!), and we had a delicious lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment