Pages

The life and times of Colleen and Scott Platt in Iowa and beyond.

Friday, July 13, 2012

Sausage Stuffed Onions

A few years ago, my roommate at the time gave me, her parents, and her grandparents a "history dinner" at Living History Farms in Des Moines.  We took a horse pulled wagon out to the 1800's farm, and there ate a delicious meal prepared in the farmhouse on the wood burning stove.  It was awesome!  One of the things they served was Sausage Stuffed Onions.  At that time, I rarely ate onions--mostly because I had not grown up eating a lot of onions, unless they were chopped up really small and cooked a lot so you didn't even realize they were there.  At the historical dinner I tried the onion, and they were delicious!  I wasn't sure if they were so good just because in themselves they were good, or if it was also because I enjoyed the experience.  They gave us all the recipes they had used when we left, and finally tonight, years later, I tried making the stuffed onions on my own.

Here are the onions, boiling away.
I used yellow onions because they are nice and mild.  I was hoping to use some of the onions out of garden, but those onions are all approximately the size of the tip of my thumb, so not so good for stuffing!  


This is the filling--sausage, bread crumbs (which grocery stores don't sell at this time of year, so I bought some french bread, cut it up, and cooked it under the broiler), a couple eggs, sage, and garlic.  And the middles of all the onions.  Incidentally, the recipe called for 4 onions, and said to push out the middle, leaving one layer remaining.  I left 2-3 layers remaining on each one, pulled them apart, and stuffed them all...and still had twice as much stuffing as I needed.  The rest went in the freezer and will be used in a breakfast casserole some day.

Top with cream of mushroom soup, and they are ready to go into the oven!

Hot out of the oven.

Looks yummy!
The onions were very good!  I'm sure they tasted better cooked in a wood fire oven, but I enjoyed them so much I even cut up the outside layers of onion and ate those as well.  Onions galore!  

We'll have to see how the "digestive repercussions" are before I decide if I will make these again.

Yesterday a friend posted a link to the Pioneer Woman's recipe for iced coffee.  I put together a 1/4 batch of that this evening as well.  In decaf.  We'll see how that turned out in the morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment