Pages

The life and times of Colleen and Scott Platt in Iowa and beyond.

Monday, May 12, 2014

Tulip Time in Pella

This year, for the third year in a row, we were not able to spend any significant time at the Tulip Time Festival in Pella.  This is sad for me, because I enjoy the food, I enjoy the craft market and the walking around, and I really enjoy the parades!  I was able to go on Thursday with the kids, but with a weather forecast of 45 degrees and rainy, I was unsure whether it would be a good idea to go!  My Mom lovingly offered to take care of the baby while I went to the parade with Laurel, so I bundled us up, packed up the single stroller, and went to Pella for the afternoon.  
Fortunately, we only had a few sprinkles of rain while we waited for the parade to start.  After that I didn't rain, but it was pretty cold!  My sister and nieces joined us (the two in Dutch costumes marched in the Parade, and another niece joined us after she was done Dutch dancing prior to the parade).  Laurel enjoyed running around on the street until the parade started, and looking at the tulips.  She also enjoyed the bands and the parade, and talked about the fire truck for a few hours afterwards.

About half the tulips in town were blooming.  It had been raining and cold for the week before Tulip Time, so I'm glad that any tulips were up!  Last year it snowed during Tulip Time, so this was a definite improvement.

Abby walked downtown with Laurel and me.
 Here are some additional "Tulip" pictures in Pella.  These were actually taken a week after Tulip Time when we were in Pella for a marriage seminar.  The weather was nice and sunny, and even more tulips were blooming!
It's difficult to get a picture of Laurel looking at the camera.


Nicolas and Laurel, sitting in the giant wooden shoes


No comments:

Post a Comment