Pages

The life and times of Colleen and Scott Platt in Iowa and beyond.

Sunday, May 12, 2013

Homemakers

The tree in our front yard sheds little yellow seed pods in the spring.  My car is always parked under it, so it has been covered in a blanket of pods lately!  No more shoveling snow, now we shovel seed pods!

Scott's been mentioning for a while that he would like me to make old fashioned ham and beans.  I have never made beans using dried beans before, but we had a couple giant hams in the freezer, so this weekend I went for it!  I soaked great northern beans over night, but the ham in the crock pot Saturday morning, then cooked up the beans Saturday night.  And of course I made corn bread, as I was informed that you have to serve corn bread with ham & beans.  It turned out pretty good!
Soak those beans!

After I finished cooking the ham, I put the bone back into the crock pot with the cooking liquid, more water, onions, carrots, celery, peppercorns, and a couple bay leaves, and let it boil for a couple hours.  Homemade ham broth!
 Laurel's favorite food is yogurt.  In fact, it is one of the few foods she will eat, and she eats it about 6 times a day.  I usually try to feed her something else first (instant oatmeal, applesauce, canned fruit, and now, spinach smoothies!  That's about all she eats...) but at every meal she starts whining, pointing at the fridge, and saying "gurt, gurt, gurt gurt."  At least she's eating.
Give me my gurt!
 Scott and I had a very exciting Saturday evening.  Laurel went to bed, Scott repaired a shirt, I did some crafts.  I guess this makes us old and boring.
What a handy guy!

I have a chair by my front door with a welcome to my house, seasonal display.  It is currently still in the autumn season...so I am creating a new display for summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment