Pages

The life and times of Colleen and Scott Platt in Iowa and beyond.

Saturday, May 18, 2013

Welcome to Summer!

Yesterday for work I helped set up 20 sand volleyball courts.  The nets are permanent, but we had to take down their lines, put up our lines (we use short courts, and you have to put out the lines using a series of bungees, making sure that they are even and the center line is in the middle...sometimes you have to be creative with the bungees), and putting antennas on every net.  I put on SPF 50 sunblock, and after an hour I was starting to look a little pink!  So I reapplied, with SPF 85!  Three hours in the sand is rough on us pale-faces!  I'm happy to report today that I am not sunburned, although I have a nice start to my sandal tan.  On me, tan is a relative term; you can see the lines from my sandals, but I certainly am still pretty pale.

We got out all the shorts, dresses, onesies, and summer clothes for Laurel.  I haven't put away all the winter clothes yet, but that will probably happen soon.  To celebrate summer, I put her hair in pigtails the other day!

And I finally got around to changing the display by my front door.  I had made one for autumn, and got so busy I just left it up for the whole winter!  I decided it was time for a spring/summer display.  I painted a placque with our last name on it and a little birdhouse.  Then I planted some shade loving annuals.  Now I just have to remember to water them--this is under the porch roof, and last year my plants died.

While I am thankful for AC, I usually don't turn it on until the temperature is over 85 degrees.  I love having the windows open, smelling the dirt and grass and flowers, and having a nice breeze.  This morning I was 76 in the house, and 79 outside...and I couldn't take it!  I turned on the AC.  Usually Scott folds far earlier than I do! We started the day with some homemade carrot-apple muffins, and are now looking forward to studying for our final final exam for our class at church.  After this weekend we will have Sunday afternoons off again...sounds like a good time for a bike ride!

No comments:

Post a Comment