Pages

The life and times of Colleen and Scott Platt in Iowa and beyond.

Sunday, September 7, 2014

2014 JFC Annual Picnic and Baptism

In August we had our annual Jubilee Family Church Picnic and Baptism out at Lake Keomah State Park.  This is one of my favorite events our church has every year, although this year it was HOT!  Picnics are a little exciting right now because Laurel just runs around the entire time, so one of us is chasing her the entire time.  Scott was in charge of taking pictures, as always, so she got to ride in the sling on his back for part of the time--a good way to keep her from running away!
Laurel saw the giant slip 'n' slide as soon as we got there, and asked if she could wear her swimming suit.
 I decided to be baptized this year.  I was baptized as an infant, and then made public profession of faith when I was a teenager, as is the custom in the Christian Reformed Church.  After we got married, I began attending JFC with Scott, and in our church we practice adult baptisms.  I believe that, Biblically, adult baptism is more accurate, but  for the last few years I also struggled with the thought that getting re-baptized now somehow negates the faith I have had my whole life.  I gave my life to God a long time ago, and have never fallen away or turned my back!  This year, after talking to Pastor Bill about it, I decided to get baptized as a symbol of my continuing relationship with Christ, and also to be an example to our children. 
It was hot outside, so it felt good to be dipped!  However, seeing the amount of goose poop and other "stuff" in the lake, I was happy to change out of my wet clothes quickly.

Everyone who got baptized.

Here's a shot of everyone who was at the picnic and came down for the baptism

Laurel was fascinated with the slip 'n' slide, but never quite worked up the nerve to slide down it.  She did walk on to it and lay down once, but did not actually slide anywhere.  She spent most of the time standing next to it and laughing at the other kids sliding down the hill.

Phil (age 73), however, had no qualms about sliding down the hill!

Laurel also had a lot of fun in the bouncy house.

Nicolas took a little nap on my shoulder


Daddy loves Nicolas!

No comments:

Post a Comment